Sindyoke's Android portfolio
What is a mechanical engineer doing in Android development?
The reason and drive is the same: I wanted to employ my talent for logic, mathematics, and my need to create something pulpable, that I can touch, hold, show, and that people will use and be happy :) Programming is even better than mechanical engineering, because it gives me more freedom, it’s faster, and intellectually more rewarding.
- 2014. - Casual learning
- 2015. - Full-time learning Android (see Courses)
- 2016-now - Full-time Android Developer in Delta Holding (see List of my applications)
Tehnologies I work in
- Google - Android Studio, Java, Locations, Maps, Street View, Analytics, Auth, Room
- Firebase - RealtimeDatabase, Crashlytics, Authentication, Analytics, Cloud Messaging
- Square - Retrofit, OkHttp3, Picasso, LeakCanary
- Other libraries - Connecting to third party APIs: Facebook SDK, Triposo API, GitHub
Courses I finished (this is not the full list)
- Android - Programming Mobile Applications for Android specialization (1 UI, 2 UI, 3 Concurrency, 4 Communication, 5 Spring, 6 Security), Engineering Maintainable Android Apps, Android App Components - Intents, Activities, and Broadcast Receivers, Effective Android Testing for Mobile Developers, Android Espresso Essential Training, Android Architecture Masterclass, How to User a Content Provider, Gradle for Android and Java, Android Performance, UX Design for Mobile Developers,
- Java - Object Oriented Programming in Java, Data structures: Measuring and Optimizing Performance, Advanced Data Structures in Java,
- Google - Add Google Maps to your Android App, Google Location Services on Android
- Firebase - Firebase Essentials for Android, Firebase in a Weekend, Firebase Analytics: Android
Courses I am currently attending online
- Android testing - Android Unit Testing and Test Driven Development
- Kotlin - Kotlin for Java Developers, The Kotlin Programming Language
- DevOps - Introduction to Site Reliability Engineering and DevOps
List of my Android applications
This is the list of some Android projects I worked on. Some are for the company I work for, and the others are my private projects. I was the only developer on all, except BMW and Honda, where I inherited the code and published a few updates.
App for YuhorDucan stores. YuhorDucan are brand stores for meat factory Yuhor. App contains map & list of locations, news, promotions, recipes, loyalty programme, online orders.
App that pings Google API to get info about all FCM tokens in your database.
Simple app created for presenting new brand of apples on Belgrade food fair on Valentine’s day.
Simple quiz app created to promote the company.
Mobile application for owners and wannabe owners of BMW cars.
Mobile application for owners and wannabe owners of Honda cars.
My version of famous game in which you find pairs of same cards. I wanted to practice graphics and logic, and also to have fun and exercize my memory :)
Tool for hacking your productivity - track how you feel by entering your estimates by hour, get summarized data after a few weeks, and find your most productive hours. Especially useful for freelancers.
App that simplifies ordering a karaoke song - songlist searchable by title, artist or genre, singing queue with notifications
Me at work - speed, communication, values, problem solving
- Responsibility - I will think thoroughly before I accept the job. If I accept it, don't doubt that I'll be on it, with my full energy and attention, and there's no need to check up on me constantly - most likely it would even be counterproductive. If you need more communication, be free to send me a message from time to time and I'd be happy to update you, but please don't expect me to send regular reports, unless I have some questions or doubts.
- Communication channels I am currently using:
- for written communication - SMS, Signal, Slack, Discord, LinkedIn, Facebook Messenger, Twitter
- for video conferencing as well - Viber, Skype, Skype for business, Microsoft Teams, Google Zoom & Hangouts & Meet, Jitsi Meet
For business communication, I prefer texting to audio/video. Here's why: connection can be lousy, and because my ears are sensitive (that explains some of my weird musical talents, like playing by ear) that can prevent me from giving my full attention to the topic. Sometimes we have to repeat ourselves, and lose focus. Also, both parties don't have any proof about what we talked about. That's why I prefer written word: email, chat, ticketing system - communication is clear and there is no doubt about what has been agreed upon.
- Speed - Give me a clear deadline and I will finish before it, or let you know in time if that's not possible. Don't give me open ends, and expect it to be fast - Work expands to fill the time available for its completion. (Parkinson's law)
- Values - According to VIA Institute, my strongest signature strengths are: love of learning, curiosity, creativity, honesty, judgment, perspective. That means that I will do my best to solve any problems that may arise during the creation of your app. I go to sleep with the task in mind, and I solve it the next day if not sooner.